Gluten Free Soft Pretzels
These gluten free soft pretzels are just as good, if not better, than the buttery pretzels you get at the mall!
- 3 cups gluten free flour blend see notes
- ½ tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup neutral oil
- 1 cup milk
- Melted butter for brushing
- Pretzel salt for sprinkling
- Whisk together the gluten free flour blend, instant yeast, sugar, and salt. Add the egg and oil. While mixing, slowly pour the milk in. Mix well.
- On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough into four equal pieces. Roll each piece out to about 18 inches long, and twist into a pretzel shape. Cover the pretzels and let them rise for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil 6 cups of water in a large pot. Add 1 ½ tablespoons of baking soda once it reaches a rolling boil. Leave each pretzels in the water for about 30 seconds, making sure the water covers every part. Remove the pretzels and shake gently to remove any excess water. Transfer to a lined baking sheet and brush generously with melted butter.
- Bake at 400°F for 18-20 minutes, or until the pretzels are golden brown. These pretzels are best when enjoyed warm.
Gluten Free Flour Blend: Any measure for measure blend should work. My favorite brands are King Arthur Measure for Measure Flour and Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour. Dairy Free Option: Use any non-dairy milk and melted vegan butter. My favorite vegan butter brand is Melt. Vegan Option: Use 1 flax or chia egg + 1/4 teaspoon baking powder. Follow the Dairy Free Option. (Flax/chia egg- 1 tablespoon ground flax/chia seed + 3 tablespoons water. Stir and let it sit for 15 minutes before using.)